New Orleans Hornets mascot Super Hugo flies through a ring of fire to dunk the ball between the first and second quarter of Game One of the second round of the NBA Playoffs at the New Orleans Arena. Crews were unable to put out the fire and had to use fire extinguishers which left a fine dust all over the court. The game was delayed 19 minutes while the mess was cleaned up. The Hornets won 101-82 to take a 1-0 lead in the best-of-seven series. Below, Dirk Nowitzki drives around the Hornets Morris Peterson.


As you can see, I have finally made it to Ohio. Susanne and Uma have been here since last August. I had been spliting my time, but kept putting off a full time move. I was going to come for the winter quarter, but had too many loose ends. I wanted to be in New Orleans for Carnival and Mardi Gras and wanted to run the Mardi Gras Half Marathon (2:14:27). Having exhausted my excuses, and needing to step back, I finally arrived two weeks ago. I am teaching two classes in Visual Communications at Ohio University. It's very peaceful here. I miss New Orleans, and then again, I don't.

Apart from moving to Ohio for a while, there have been some good projects afoot. Leslie Parr, a professor of photojournalism at Loyola University, put together a very compelling oral history with four photographers who covered Hurricane Katrina. She did interviews and slide shows for the website of The Journal of American History. It features three staff photographers from the Times-Picayune, Kathy Anderson, Ted Jackson, John McCusker, and me. I am honored to be included with such as distinguished group.<

In addition, the April issue of Photo District News, better known simply as PDN, has a feature on me and my exhibit "Letters From My Father" which was on display last fall at the Ogden Museum of Southern Art in New Orleans. It appears on pages 136-8. Check it out.

A Frontline documentary on Herbert Gettridge and his family will be airing soon on PBS. I went to see Mr. G. before I left. He looks good. The house looks good, and the Lower Ninth even looks good. Of course, there is not a whole lot in the Lower Ninth Right now. The city seems to be keeping many of the lots clear of weeds. With most of the debris gone, and the houses torn down, it's just a big open lot. There has been some new construction, and many of the trailers have been removed. But let's not forget what happened here.

And finally, I ran my second half marathon in Athens the first week of April. I managed to knocked almost 10 minutes off my time in the Mardi Gras Half Marathon just six weeks ago. It was a glorious day to run and coming in at 2:04.42 I had lots of time to contemplate debris-free space. Katrina has dominated my life and work for two and a half years. It is still THE story for those still living in New Orleans. But the rest of the world has moved on. I came to the realization a number of months ago that I have nothing further to say about Katrina. There are still plenty of stories to be told, but I am done. I can't really complain. I've done the best work of my life. Sadly, very few people outside New Orleans care anymore. Having said that, I think I have one more Katrina gallery in me, and I promise to put that up in the coming weeks. After that, the Lagniappe section of the website will return to its original purposes: to highlight side projects and other gems that might otherwise escape the light of day. Stay tuned.

View recent Katrina Galleries

View previous pictures of the week

Return to Projects page